Thursday, January 22, 2015

Static Turn Off Effect

I successfully resisted chiming in on a conversation about race, despite a young woman's claims that race wasn't "real" and it is "just a construct" I did not tell her that it is both real and a construct, that the two are not mutually exclusive. I didn't tell her that what she probably meant was that race is sociopolitical, not biological. I did not remind her that, of course, there IS a biological basis for skin color but that race and skin color were different things.
I was proud of myself for not chiming in and was saved the burden of restraining myself by way of a conversational segue. To evolution and human origin.
She expressed that she straight up disbelieved that sub-Saharan Africa was humanity's most likely point of origin. She said that her disbelief is not for want of evidence (in fact, she conceded several times that there was an abundance of credible evidence), but because she just doesn't want to believe it. She doesn't like the fact because "people travel and they go to Africa and bring back stuff and are like 'Ooo I got this from Africa!'".
That's it. That was her argument.
There was more but, from that point on, all I heard from her was static.
Weird, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment