Friday, January 30, 2015

Notice

My nephew Tyre (pronounced "tie-REE") is a bright, skinny, bespectacled youth who loves comics and zombies and video games. And girls. Mostly video games and comics, though. When he isn't playing video games or reading comics, he can usually be found somewhere alone, scribbling out short fiction.
Yesterday, just like millions of other teenagers, my nephew got up, got dressed for school, ate breakfast, and walked out the door toward the bus stop. Unlike the other millions, however, my teenage nephew was stopped by police on the way to school.
Three police officers accosted him while he walked down the sidewalk, demanding he put his hands up. That skinny kid in glasses with a book bag full of comics and homework posed absolutely no threat to the three adult armed and well trained police officers. What's more, he had violated no law. Still, they came at him shouting "PUT YOUR HANDS UP!"
They shined a flashlight directly into his eyes and stared him down for a while. Then, with no explanation, they moved on. "Alright," they said, and walked away.
But it wasn't alright. It ISN'T alright.
I started talking with my nephew about the police a few years ago. Mostly, I made it very clear that it's very rarely ever a good idea to disobey an officer. But, more importantly, I let him know that, given where he lived and what he looked like, it was likely that they would start "noticing him" soon. He asked me what that meant and I said, "It's always a good idea to obey the police. Just do exactly what they say. Usually nothing happens and they just let you go. It's when you give them a reason to hang around that you can get into trouble."
The dramatic unfolding of events in Ferguson and NYC over the past few months have made our conversations about police more frequent. I always try and remain neutral on the subject, eager to protect him but equally as intent on not scaring him.
The first time I spoke about the police, he didn't believe me. "That can't happen!" he said. I thought racism was pretty much over!"
And he meant it. He truly believed that there were no such thing and, for a minute, I believed with him. I imagined how pristine and inviting the world must feel, or, at least, how FAIR it all seemed. In his world, race was a feature, not a factor. And, looking into his eyes that afternoon, it was hard not to want that to be true so badly that I ended up embracing it as true, if only for a moment.
Coming home from the bookstore that afternoon, my nephews and I were pulled over. I did what I always do; pulled over immediately, cut the engine, rolled down the window, quickly removed my wallet from my front pocket and placed it on my right leg, rested both hands on the steering wheel, and relaxed. The kids, excited, began asking questions. "This is serious," I said. Do not joke, do not talk, stay seated. If he asks you anything, tell him the truth. We haven't done anything wrong, we should be fine."
When the officer came to the window and asked for my license and registration, I verbally informed him of what I was going to do before I did it, then did so with careful, deliberate motion, hands always in sight. He returned to his cruiser and we waited. The officer returned shortly and handed me my things. "You can go," he said. No explanation.
"Why'd he pull us over if he was just going to let us go?" my nephew chimed in loudly. The officer turned again and looked at us. I shot my nephew a look of death and he turned his gaze toward his shoes, silent.
"Have a nice day," the officer said as he turned again to leave. I waited a few seconds before starting the car and pulling off.
This would not be the last time we were pulled over together. The world, it seemed, was determined to teach my nephews early just how things might be, how they could be, that things could be certainly be fair but that they sometimes weren't, and that, sometimes, unfairness looked like this when one looks like we do.
Last night, my nephew insisted that he had only been walking to school and nothing more. I knew it was true but pressed him anyway, my anger getting the better of me. And then I apologized. For losing my temper. For the officers. For the world and the people in it who hadn't quite gotten their act together in time for him to miss all of this.
"Remember when I told you that they'd start noticing you?"
"Yeah," he said.
"Well they've noticed you now."

No comments:

Post a Comment