Monday, February 4, 2013

Swiped

Day 10: I was robbed.

Somehow, someone cloned a copy of my debit card and used it to purchase a mess of gift cards from a Target in New Jersey.

While at an event on campus, I got an email informing me of the unusual spending. I called immediately. After confirming my identity, the woman told me she would be canceling my card. I hardly ever use cash and didn't have any on me at the time. Canceling my card would make things tricky. I told her so, adding "The purchases were made from a city two and a half hours from here. I've already proven who I am. I can just as easily prove where I am. Can you just give me a few to find an ATM?"

Short answer: No.

Saturday morning, I made my way to the bank and got a temporary debit card. The woman I spoke with reviewed my account with me and said the problem would be easier to fix because I am  a practical spender. It was an unusual compliment and I wasn't entirely sure what it meant.

"Thanks," I said. Mostly because I have manners.

Even with the temporary debit card, I used my emergency credit card for the rest of the weekend, cringing at every swipe. I had to keep reminding myself that this is one of the reasons why I have a credit card in the first place, but, still, I cringed.

Tank of gas: cringe
Wiper blades: cringe
D.P. Dough: cringe
Assorted Superbowl Snacks: cringe
Emergency Late-Night Taco Bell run: cringe

By Monday, only half of the charges had been returned to me. The rest were still pending. Apparently, even though they knew I hadn't made the purchase, they had to wait until the charges 'posted' to my account. Which, for me, meant that I was out of that money until at least then.

In the end, it was determined that, most likely, I had been a victim of credit card skimming. I'd heard of it before but felt no need to be vigilant. Monday morning, I stopped at the campus book store to grab some headphones (ever the practical spender that I am). I hesitated when the gentleman at the checkout asked me to scan my card. He smiled at me in a plain and absent way, his teeth resting behind his lips like tombstones. I looked at the scanner trying to detect something sinister or unusual, not knowing at all what to look for.

"Just swipe you card right there, sir!" he said, his grin melting like soft serve.

I took a deep breath and swiped my card.

Pair of headphones: cringe

No comments:

Post a Comment