Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Old School: South Africa

Thanks to a series of somewhat random and fortunate events, I now find myself positioned to be studying in Cape Town, South Africa for the Spring 2014 semester. Me and 20+ other undergrads will be leaving in mid-January and won't be returning until the end of April. While there, I'll be taking courses in South African politics as well as race and gender in a global perspective at The University of Cape Town. In addition to that, I'll have an internship (the specifics of which are TBD) where I'll be working three days a week. This will all be tied together with a healthy dose of adventuring, daring-do, and some good old fashioned activism. I'm very much looking forward to taking full advantage of this opportunity and am psyched  that OSH is going international.

ZOMGLOLBBQOBGYN!!1!!11!

Since I began this blog, many of you have offered tremendous support by reading, sharing, and commenting on my posts. More than a few of you have not-so-subtly suggested that I eventually compile this all into a book of some sort. And I might. I go back and forth on that one. But, for now, though, I could use your support. Like now. Before the book that may or may not be coming.

Just after I was accepted into the program, I was involved in a car accident. Thanks to that and a few other unexpected life events, I find myself spectacularly short of the funds I need to go to South Africa next year. I won't say just how short but short of selling my car and personal effects and prostituting myself for a few months, I'm not sure that I can make it own my own. Also prostituting is exploitative. And, frankly, I don't have the legs for it.

A number of you have expressed a desire to toss $ at me to keep writing/posting here and, until now, I've politely changed the subject with an "Oh... you guys!" or some such thing. But, if you're reading this and would like to help me achieve that end, I could certainly use the support.

I've changed my mind, in other words. The answer is now, "Yes! Halp!"

I've attached a donation button to the top right of this page just under the "About Me" section. If you're so inclined, click the donate button and make a donation in the amount of your choosing via PayPal.

I intend to go come hell or high water and will make do one way or another. But, with your help, the dream will come that much easier. Also I'll high five you*. If you're somewhat local*. And I don't have too much homework*.

Thank you in advance for all your support, gang, both monetary and otherwise. I look forward to serving up international shenanigans in the near future.










*let's just agree that, though the high five will be implied, they will be nonetheless 
sincere


No comments:

Post a Comment