Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Found


I had been walking around campus all afternoon, bouncing from building to building, none of them familiar. Add to that, the campus was nearly abandoned, greatly amplifying that feeling of foreign newness. 

I wasn't lost. But none of the buildings were where they were supposed to be. That much was clear. And I was too proud to ask any of the few remaining stragglers for help. Instead, I sat at Ted's and ate things guaranteed to make me grumpy and gassy muttering to myself about the lack of free parking and how they'd changed up the student union.

Eventually, as I always do, I ended up at the Wilbur Cross building. The very last and most unlucky person working in the Financial Aid Office was sitting there, one hour left before the end of her shift.

I walked in. My socks were sweaty. My eyes were lasers. She flashed a smile and asked how she could help me.

"I'll start at the beginning," I said.

...and then 3 minutes later, everything was solved. She didn't fight me. She wouldn't fight me. And she was still smiling.

Though I had nothing to grimace about, I was still full of vinegar and dogged determination. But she had been nice and exceedingly helpful. There was nothing left to conquer, nothing left to win or beat. So I swallowed hard and pulled my lips back into something like a smile.

"Happy Thanksgiving," she chimed.

I mumbled something polite, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment