Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Guard


So I had this massive financial aid disaster. All my aid was canceled. All of it. I called and spoke to two people in FinAid who, in short, said "I'm sorry."

I called a third time. I had to. Before the person could say more than hello, I let them know what I was trying to do and why going back to school was important to me. "I want this more than anything," I said. 

The woman was very patient. She asked me questions about my time at UConn years ago and what I was doing now. I mentioned that I was the brass instructor at Lyman Hall High.

"Are you going to be in Bridgeport on Saturday?" she asked?

"... ... Yes. I sure am."

"Cool", she said. I'm in the UConn Marching Band.

"Cool", I said. "I was in the UConn Marching Band."

There was much band dorkery and whatnot and I felt 1000 times better. I had no idea how to fix this (and neither did she) but I felt like I was in capable hands. She took her time and we worked out a solution. I could only say thank you.

"Thank you", I said.

"Us band dorks have to stick together", she said.

My only regret was not asking her name. I only know that she's in the guard.

Thank you, fantastic guard lady. You talked me down and made my day.

#TUP

No comments:

Post a Comment