Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The Talk

At the encouraging of a good friend, I wrote Fluerette King, director of the Rainbow Center here at UConn, to discuss what I had experienced over the course of several visits there. She responded promptly thanking me for the email and asked if we could meet.

Today, she and I spoke for 90 minutes on a great many issues, my email among them. Regarding the email, she advised me that, upon receiving it, she printed it out, and distributed it to her staff (with my name redacted). She then had a discussion with her staff about the letter, after which they broke into smaller groups to discuss possible policy changes. They've since made some revisions and are in the process of implementing them. She also made sure to discuss the letter with the students who regularly visit the Rainbow Center.

This woman does NOT mess around. I liked her instantly.

I was humbled by her candor and forthrightness, and greatly appreciated the lengths to which she went to take action. I assured her that I would visit again and look forward to my next opportunity to do so.

Pretty sure I made a new friend today.

No comments:

Post a Comment