Monday, December 2, 2013

The Big Push

Fair warning: It's about to get weird. And biological. Indulge me.

There have been more than a few moments were, just before class, I felt the abdominal grumbles and pressures signaling that I'd have to have a "seat", and soon. It instigates a very unique form of panic - "Do I or don't I?" which, at times, becomes "Must I?"

The trick has been learning how urgent "urgent" is, and, only slightly less importantly, how long of a "seat" I'd have to take. There's nothing more awkward than rushing through the final minutes of a decent sit-down and scrambling to class with the telltale "Deuce" waddle. It's the sort of thing that you may not recognize normally, but, when you've recently engaged in the practice, your eye tends to be able to pick out those who might be able to sympathize. More often than not, I wait - mostly because I don't want to chance being late, but also because I don't want to corrupt what is supposed to be a period  of deep relaxation and meaningful reflection coupled with contemplative hand-held gaming. 

There's a point to this. I swear. 

Finals week is upon us - upon me, really. Because, even though it's something that everyone here will experience, sometimes at the same time, and even in the same room, it is ultimately a very personal experience. It's important to go into it calm and relaxed, confident that you're having done this countless times before without disaster is reason enough to expect a positive outcome.

Yes that is a poop metaphor. No, I am not proud of myself. 

Thanksgiving has come and gone. The last of the pies and turkeys have forced themselves upon me, leaving me sweaty and taut and helpless. I can feel the various sips and bites imparting their goodness unto me, a warm universal glow of delight issuing from my abdomen as I surrender to nature's process, relishing the echo of the feast. 

But, hark, there is... a remainder. "Must I?" is a memory. Now there is only "I Shall!" Now there is only "I Must!"

So, yeah, finals week is a lot like taking a dump. 

It's an unpleasant, awful thing that no one likes to think about for very long. But, if properly prepared for, it can also be a thing that leads to a deep sense of personal satisfaction and accomplishment.

The semester is all but over and I know now that I am full of it. I only hope that when it comes time for the big push, I am up to the task. 

...mostly, though, I just wanted to talk about poopin'.


No comments:

Post a Comment