Sunday, October 28, 2012

'Doubt' Is Just Five Little Letters


For the record:

JCG: [interupting me] Nononono listen. Listen to me. This... what you're doing? This is a VERY. VERY. BAD. IDEA.

---

WEB: [groans] I think maybe that now isn't the best time. You'll be broke, out of work, deeper in debt, and still not have a degree. Then what? I mean I applaud you being a dreamer and it SOUNDS nice and... I know you think you have a plan. But you have no plan. How are you going to do this without a plan? Wait 2-3 years, THEN go back. Go back with a plan and some direction.

---

CBC: Drew. No. I'm sorry but that's a terrible idea.

---

DEJ: Drew, honey... this isn't a good thing. This isn't a good idea. I'm sorry. I'm telling you this because I love you. You know that right? I'm not trying to be mean. I hope you don't take it that way.

---

PDA: I think it's time you grew up. I think it's time you grew up and behaved like an adult. This is foolish... a foolish decision. And you're going to screw yourself.

_____________________________________________________

Never ceases to amaze me how mean and insensitive some people can be.

Three of the five of those people called me specifically to talk me out of going back to school. I brought it up with the other two in separate conversations and they each gave me a piece of their minds.

I'll admit. Every one of those conversations hurt my feelings. Everyone of them were discouraging as hell. I spent a long time rethinking my decision to head back to school, mulling over what each of them had said. And then I sat down and wrote "Thank You" letters to each of them.

I plan to mail them out after my graduation party.

1 comment:

  1. First time you told me, I was envious of but excited for you....I'm still having the conversations with myself you had in part 1..."I have been saying for years that the ONLY reason..." and yes, as I continue to have them/have had them for the last 25-30 years...OK, I'm still a bit envious, but more PROUD of you!

    ReplyDelete